Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ego Maniac vs Eco Momiac

ego·ma·nia  ē-gō-ˈmā-nē-ə, -nyə : noun

1.  the quality or state of being extremely egocentric (Merriam-Webster)

2.  showing marked self-importance with an inability to comprehend the affect one's actions might have on the world at large

or......Me, from birth until recently, actually.

Yep...this was me.  I think there's this conventional wisdom that some day when we are old we will look back on our youth and marvel about how wonderful it was.  Maybe I'm not old enough yet....but in my youth, I was a jerk.  An Unapologetic Jerk, at that.  My priorities were very near-sighted and really didn't extend beyond showing up for work, paying rent and having a good time.

I did not worry about my health, the people around me or the Planet that we all have to live on.  Smoking, drinking, ridiculous shoes, lots of makeup, little sleep, lots (and lots) of coffee...and this was my status quo.

I would like to say that it all changed when I fell in love with the man that I'm married to, but it didn't.  Granted, he encouraged me to snap out of my REALLY unhealthy practices and even motivated me to go to the gym every once and awhile.  But mostly, I was still stuck on myself and in my old ways.

                                               But then...something happened.....

(that's a baby bump)


And suddenly it wasn't about me anymore.  I began thinking about the type of food I was putting into my body and the types of cosmetics I was putting on it.  I began thinking about the world I wanted my child to grow up in.  Everything in my life became something that needed to be examined and evaluated.

When that second pink line appeared on the pregnancy test the Ego Maniac in me died and in her place was a budding Eco Momiac.  

Now, I am a mother of two.  I'm not perfect.  I'm not an expert.  I don't think that it's all about me, because that's the point.  It's not all about me.

The things that I truly care about and strive to consistently safeguard and promote for myself, my family and others are the things that I'm now maniacal about: Your Health, Your Family and Your Planet.  

With that, Welcome to Eco Momiac..

No comments:

Post a Comment